Our Trip to the Discovery Center

On Thursday, February 4, we traveled to Colorado Springs to visit the Space Foundation Discovery Center. We had such a great time learning about space! We are very grateful to the staff of the Discovery Center for helping us learn more about our solar system.

When we first arrived, we walked into a very dark room. There was a giant sphere with some very tiny wires holding it from the ceiling to the middle of the room. We also noticed four projectors in the room in four different corners. Our guide told us that those four projectors would project images on the sphere, so that the entire sphere would be covered. It was a 360º image! This is called “Science on a Sphere.” Our guide showed us all the planets on the sphere. We thought it was so cool!IMG_8113

As we looked at all the planets, we learned something unique about each one. When we started to look at Saturn, our guide was able to rotate the planet on the sphere so that we could see the top of Saturn. Did you know Saturn has a storm on its top? We noticed that the storm is 6-sided, and that is called a hexagon.IMG_8120

After we finished in the Science on a Sphere room, we walked around the Discovery Center gallery. We noticed a lot of space suits, examples of food that astronauts eat, and some scale models of rockets, rovers, and other spacecraft.

After our tour, we spent time in a classroom at the Discovery Center learning about scale and planets. We got to use some modeling clay – 3 pounds! –  to create scale models of the planets in our solar system. When we finished, we noticed how huge Jupiter and Saturn are. We added Pluto, even though it got kicked out of the “planet club.” When we finished with our scale model of the solar system, Pluto was a tiny little crumb!

IMG_8132 IMG_8133 IMG_8137

Here are some things we thought about our learning on this trip:

JF: I learned that Jupiter has a big red spot. It’s a storm.

WG: Saturn has a storm that’s shaped like an eye. I liked that we were making a model of the solar system, because it helped me learn what the sizes of the planets are actually like.

CRC: I liked seeing the planets (on the sphere), because I’ve never seen the planets before.

EO: I liked Neptune (on the sphere), because it’s all blue. I like blue!

NK: I learned that Saturn has a storm, because I didn’t know that.

Some of us wrote blog posts and drew illustrations of what we saw at the Discovery Center:

Zach’s Blog of Wonder

Bodie’s Blog of Wonder

Nathan’s Blog of Wonder

Ryan’s Blog of Wonder

We are very grateful to the people at the Space Foundation Discovery Center. Thank you so much for taking the time to help us learn more about space!